Sunday, November 06, 2005

 

What to publish, and how?

I had a great lunch with Alison the other day...somehow we ended up talking more about me than the Omnibus, which I think is a great talent of hers (more, I hope, than it is a failing of mine).

One thing we both agreed to talk more about was the possibility of the different publishing efforts assisting each other. She and Bill are intent on writing a history, and of course there is also the publication of the methodology book. Alison told me to ask her for materials, since she has a ton of them as it is. I'm going to get one of the older plays from her (3 SISTERS?) and try to create an e-version of that.

I also started thinking this week about other modes of publishing. This Omnibus has to be a physical book, and it has to be relatively inexpensive...but I have also thought about publishing it or part of it online. Perhaps there is ancilary material available online? The COMPLETE transcripts of interviews, or MP3's of music, or clips of shows?

One thing I have on my laptop here is the Bill and Alison presentation of the slideshow from I2. There's another little side project. It seems to me that it could be like one of those New York Times multimedia presentations. I just looked at one this morning about the new production of Sweeny Todd...about 2 minutes of Patti Lupone and Michael Cerveris talking over photos of the production. The slideshow does need to be married to that text, either using Powerpoint or Flash.

Then I had another interesting idea: what about a podcast archive of Cornerstone interviews/talks? It could be like a reference library of Cornerstone available for audio download. If you're going to collect the audio anyways, might as well put it to use.

This project began for me in part because I wanted to help the company (and especially the writers) exploit their own intellectual property, but the more I think about it the more I just want to see about ways of getting this out there for potential users. There are two prinicples at work for me: information wants to be free, and Cornerstone is a movement. The challenge is to spread the word as rapidly and effectively as possible.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?